- In the UK, one in two women and one in five men over the age of 50 will break a bone mainly because of poor bone health.
- There are about 300,000 fragility fractures every year in the UK.
- 1,150 people are dying every month in the UK as a result of hip fractures.
- Almost three million people in the UK are estimated to have osteoporosis
The benefits of exercise to post- menopausal women and to men over 50 are well documented, and can help with bone health, fragile bones and preventing fractures.
Specifically weight bearing exercise, such as walking, running, using weights & skipping will help the following:
- Increase muscle strength
- Improve balance
- Improve your sense of wellbeing
- Improve cognitive (brain) function
- Maintain or improve posture
- Reduce the risk of falls